Friday, November 15, 2013

Do Not Explain. Do Not Repeat.


How often do we say or do something and then explain it and/or repeat the choice we made multiple times to people? A friend told me a while ago that we should adopt the motto: Do not explain. Do not repeat.

I can't go to work tomorrow.

I am switching my child's school.

I am not going to _____ event.

I let my child _____.

We don't ______.

Do not explain. Do not repeat.

Why? Quite frankly, it's not anyone's business.

People that need to know will know and if someone has to ask, they aren't one of them. I am so tired of explaining myself to people. I got sucked into an hour long conversation with someone just yesterday trying to convince me not do something. I knew the conversation was going nowhere fast but I couldn't get out of it. At the end of the conversation, I was so drained and guess what--I'm still going to what I originally said I would do anyway. So that was a total waste of time and energy.

We are going to leave that practice in 2013.

We don't owe anyone an explanation for anything. There is usually a good reason for whatever we do; thus no need to explain or repeat ourselves. We don't need anyone's approval.

Often times, people don't realize the thought behind the decisions we make or take into consideration that what they may want to know from us is really personal, or the fact that we just flat out don't want to share. I told a funny story to some friends a while ago about a time I had to take off from work when I was pregnant and had stomach cramps. You would think that was enough but probing minds wanted more details. Yes sir, I really want to tell you that those cramps that I thought were my baby coming early were really just constipation.

Uh-No.

So I right now, I boldly declare that I will not put myself in a situation like that again. There may be awkward silences or stupefied stares but that is okay. No one has to like or understand what we do. Don't want that job anymore? Don't want to talk to ____? Want to try______? Do you boo boo. No one is going to get everything right all the time why bother explaining? If you don't like it, don't do it yourself but PUH-LEASE don't try to tell me what to do or how to do it. You don't know me or my story so back off.

Thanks in advance. 
PS

Here is my theme song for Do not explain. Do not repeat...I RUN THIS!!


5 comments:

  1. Girl I too am done with this reindeer game I will not be explaining anything I don't want to in 2014!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! No more explanations - I love this! Accept at starbucks and dunkin donuts - still feel like I have to tell them about my extreme condition against caffeine :( so they won't give me caffeinated coffee when I don't want it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crap! Explaining myself again...some habits die hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be hard and you may have to hit people with a blank stare when they probe for more. You drink your decaf girl. There are enough of us (me and Jas included) that will gladly take your caffeinated leftovers! No explanation needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unless you feel the need to explain, don't explain. Totally agree! Hopping over from #NaBloPoMo :)

    ReplyDelete