Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Don't Take It Personal

 
Let me go ahead and say that I take A LOT of things personally. It is so hard not too! I saw a tweet yesterday and it got me thinking about how great it would it be if I did not take things so personally. Now I can do this in some situations and with some people with ease but everyone else---they must be out to get me/hurt me right?? Wrong. 


The word even tells us that it is not man that we struggle with (see Ephesians 6:12). So when a person offends us, overlooks us, or is down right rude, the problem isn't them--it is much bigger. In fact it is so much bigger than them that by taking whatever happened personally, we are taking on a burden that we were not meant to bear.  Typically when I find myself taking something personally, I try not to say anything because I don't want to turn into the offender; but then whatever it was just eats away at me. This will be stopping--uh now.

Check out her blog here: http://www.renitadterry.com/
As I transition on to my next career, I don't want to take anything with me that is not working and taking things personally, professionally and in my personal life, is not working. 

I'm going to give this a shot this week. We cannot be perfect and things will not always be the same so why waste time taking things personally? What someone likes about us today, they won't tomorrow. We may not be recognized for our work now but God is getting the glory. We may be growing and developing ourselves so mistakes we make today won't be made in the future. The list goes on.

What do you think? Is it hard to not take things personal?
 
I'd love to hear your thoughts.


2 comments:

  1. This post spoke directly to me today. Someone was thoughtless to me and after reading this I am walking away thinking I spent to many seconds taking their actions personally. I will be forwarding this message along. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any time girl! We have to get people and their antics out of our headspace. We are doing to many great things to let someone set us back even for a minute.

    ReplyDelete