It was a great week taking a break from social media. It was nice to not have my phone glued to my hand but I did miss me some Pinterest though. I think I am going to continue to keep the apps off my phone but still keep them on my iPad. This way, when I am looking at them, it is for leisure and not just because I can. I really thought I was going to miss something but I didn't miss a thing! The people I wanted to know about, I did (even if it was delayed). Everyone else wasn't really needed. I do admit that it is nice to check-in on family and friends/acquaintances who aren't local, but I don't need to do it every five minutes--once a day or even every few days is fine. In fact, I wasted a good 30-45 minutes of work time this Saturday just aimlessly surfing on Facebook and Instagram. I already don't have a lot of time so that is crazy.
That being said, here are my Top 10 Benefits of Backing Away from Social Media:
- More phone battery life.
- Actually talking/texting people I love.
- Uninterrupted quality time with my family.
- More time being productive.
- Actually reading the news from news sites.
- More time to focus on tasks that need to be done.
- More time to read the word. Did you know in the Bible App you can listen to the Bible?!?!
- Phone not permanently glued to my hand.
- Keeping private things private.
- Time to read magazines.
It's really amazing how life continues to go on even if we aren't glued to social media. I am not 100% against social media but I want to be the one in charge of it instead of it running me.
To learn more about my fasting journey this Lenten season check out the details here.