Friday, January 17, 2014

Everything Ain't Easy

Making grown up decisions isn't really that hard---unless they involve other people (at least for me). It is even harder when you have to break some not-so good news to someone when there was no wrong doing on their part (and when you are just naturally an easy breezy girl like myself who wants everyone to be happy).

How To Have A Difficult Conversation 10 Practical StrategiesA few weeks ago, I had to break up with my sons daycare provider of almost two years. I knew it was coming. I had started looking a while ago and when me and the hubs actually had time to visit some, we knew instantly when we had found a winner. The problem is that our son has developed so much under his current daycare provider so telling her that "her baby" wouldn't be coming back after this month was hard. The thing is, even though there were things I liked about the daycare, it just wasn't a hell yes anymore so I knew it was time to move. That didn't make me feel better about having to have that conversation with the daycare though. Sure I feel good knowing that I have always treated them with respect and showed my appreciation when I could but it was still like -50 on the list of things I wanted to do.

The build up to the conversation though made me uneasy. The hubs broke it off with the last daycare so  this time it was my turn. However, I didn't want to head into the weekend with the anticipation weighing me down so I just went for it.

*sigh*

Why do uncomfortable conversations have to be so tough? My issue is that I don't want to hurt any ones feelings. The reality is though, his daycare provider took it like a true professional. She didn't even flinch. She loves my boo but it is the nature of her business. I was probably more worried than I had to be. I felt relived afterward but still a little sad. At the same time though, the reality is that I am excited for my sons new adventures at his new school. It is just the logical next step for his progression.
Frenemies
I have a few other difficult conversations on the horizon (I think I may have a friend/enemy lurking y'all). So I wonder does it get any easier?? Maybe with age and more practice?

Who knows.

If there is one thing I have learned about motherhood though, is it will give you just a little more nerve to do what you have to do when you need to. It may be uncomfortable but if it is for my son, I will grit my teeth and get it done. I just need that to translate into other areas.

Oh well...big girl panties are on in 2014. I'll take a little uncomfort in the name of me and my families progress, sanity, and over all well being.

How do you handle difficult conversations? I'd love to hear your tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment