Friday, November 22, 2013

Survive

To round off my week of sharing good articles I have read found, here is one about taking care our ourselves. I do NOT do this as much as I would like to but I think that self-care is at the top of my list for 2014. Tammy Plunkett's article Redefining Self-Care has some really good points.

She starts off by saying:

timeoutI also think it's a safe bet that most of you are overworked, have too many responsibilities on your shoulders, and care deeply for the people in your life, going so far as putting their needs before your own. Come on, let's be honest, I do it, too. And at the end of the day after you have taken care of everyone else's needs you are too exhausted to think of all the things the experts say you "should" be doing for yourself.

This is what I hear from the women I work with -- all the time. And then when I challenge them with a self-care assignment, their first instinct is to indulge in a pedicure or a new scented body lotion from the high-end cosmetic counter at the mall. It's a start, but is that real self-care?

I look at real self-care as a holistic practice that affects the body's wellness and the mind's serenity and the spirit's sense of greater purpose. I'm sorry, scented body lotion doesn't cut it in my books.

Well a mani/pedi isn't good enough?? And lavendar isn't enough either?? Yikes! Here some other highlights from the article:

Mind: Start your day with love. When you wake up, and certainly before you start making your mental to-do list, ground yourself in love. Remind yourself of your worthiness before you even get out of bed.

Body: Make taking care of your body a fun endeavor.

Entourage (this was my favorite): Honor and respect your true self. Don't get involved with people or projects that bring you down or suck your life's passion from you. Don't allow toxic people in your life. Learn to say no. You can be compassionate and respectful to others, but be discerning about whom you allow into your innermost life. Be real. Speak up and speak out.

Spirit: Seek out a connection to your spirit. We need a life of purpose: and that is something found only in our spirit. Whether you practice a religion or not, spend some time in spiritual investigation and find your connection.

You can read the full article here.

I currently would say I am strong in the entourage and spirit peace--well still not as consistent as I would like to be in this area but I am getting there. I definitely need to work on mind and body though.

What do you all think? What self-care techniques do you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment