I finished my first semester of grad school with straight A's. I had a sweet second birthday party for my son, had my mom help me redecorate my house, and I got to spend the holidays with my brother. In the same vein though, I have also been hurt and talked about behind my back by so-called friends, robbed, and let down. Friends have had to quit jobs, had their homes broken into, and had important deals that didn't go through. I have seen people overcome with jealousy and selfishness in places where I would least expect it.
But, because I know that life is such a roller coaster of amazing highs and brutal lows (and I believe that all things ultimately work out for good because I do serve an awesome God), I have decided to actually write down a game plan for 2014.
Here are some things I plan to do in 2014:
- Set limits (even with"good people").
- Reduce my credit card debt by at least 50%.
- Save Money (and not dip into it for any reason).
- Try some new things (different foods/different places).
- Read the word every day…a few times a day.
- Read books for fun again (I have a ton from a friend that I have barely dipped into).
- Keep in better touch with friends that don't live close.
- Enjoy the fruits of my own labor.
- Do some girly things (new make-up, nail polish, etc).
- Celebrate (holidays, birthdays, random days, etc).
We are are called to greatness in our own ways. I will not let my light or calling be dimmed by anyone especially people who think small. I pray that I will remain humble and able to love others even when they don't show love back (and even if I have to do this from afar). I don't need any one else to understand my plan or how I will execute it but me.
Do not explain. Do not repeat.
Here is a snippet of a great article about What Beyonce's New Album Release Has Taught Me by Afrobella that I also want to test out in 2014.
- Don’t talk about it. Just be about it. In fact, shut up about it until you’ve got something to actually talk about.
- Never be afraid to step your game up and take your craft to a higher level.
- Keep a close counsel and protect your vision.
- Leave procrastination in 2013.
- Switch things up and keep the people guessing.
- Be ambitious. You set trends that way.
- Let them talk. They’re gonna talk anyway. Your best response is in the work you produce.