Wednesday, December 11, 2013

So You Want to Be Rude?

I am starting to think that manners are extinct.  Too many people I keep coming into contact with are straight up RUDE! I don't know when it became okay to not have manners and to be passive aggresive, but it is real out here in these streets. The lack of manners is rampant. I don't know if it is an east coast thing--people are way nicer in Cali...at least when I was growing up--or a change in the times but I feel like if I encounter one more rude person I may snap.

Soemtimes I think it is cultural. Sometimes I just don't know. I know I shouldn't expect people to do anything but does it really hurt to say good morning or hello when someone speaks to you or when you enter a room? Are we so caught up in the hustle and bustle of whatever it is that we have to do that we think it is okay jump into people's conversations without saying excuse me? If I am talking to someone, you don't interupt me without saying excuse me (see Do Not Explain. Do Not Repeat before you feel like you even ask me why).
This is all kinds of wrong but it really brings home my point!
Here it the problem though. I would love to call out these rude mamajamas on site but I don't want to come off as the rude person myself. But lately, I have had enough. Is there a polite way to say "I said hello" or "we were in the middle of a conversation"? I don't even know. I'm going to try it out though because I think the reason so many people think it is okay to have bad manners is because no one calls them out. I am so not confrontational, but I have to get better because in a sense, I am a part of the problem as well.  We train people how they can treat us by what we allow them to do.

I'm going to try it out. The next time someone doesn't say hello or is just down right inconsiderate, I'm going to have to let them know (in the most loving way possible...Lord help me with my words here). Maybe it will teach them a lesson. Most likely it won't. But at least I did my part in letting them know that bad manners is unacceptable at least when they are interacting with me.

I will also do my part to make sure that my son has good manners because I really believe good manners starts at home. I wish I would've walked past my granny without saying hello. Shoot I remember my first trip to the south and how not saying "yes ma'am" almost got me smacked down.  Therefore, I commit to doing my part at home as well because it is essential.

We have to take back the reigns on good manners people.We are all busy, tired, over worked, *insert whatever else here*. That does not give us an excuse to put our manners on the back burner. And if we do slip up, APOLOGIZE. I am not asking for perfection people! Didn't your grandmother, mother, somebody important in your life teach you the golden rules? If not, I plan to school you.

Do you think people are getting ruder or is it just me?

Here are some articles about the untimely death of manners (some funny/some serious):

11 Reasons Your Co-Workers Hate You by  Aaron Gouveia

7 Signs You Have Bad Ettiquete by Lisa Gache

I'm Good with Being Called "Ma'am" by Ann Brenoff

I Say Hello; You Say Nothing by Elio Leturia

1 comment:

  1. I want to triple like this. There is nothing like someone not having manners! Please and thank you goes such a long way as well as saying hello or good morning.

    ReplyDelete