Wednesday, May 28, 2014

We Thank You Maya Angelou


I have always loved reading. It has taken me to many places that my physical body will never see. I can remember distinctly the first time I read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings in Ms. Edwards middle school English class. I remember raising my hand to share in so much of the rich and lively discussion. Such a powerful work to read as a middle school-aged black girl. I remember reciting her poems Still I Rise and Phenomenal Woman before I could really grasp what they really meant. Maya Angelou's words touched my spirit without me even really realizing it at first. 

Words have so much impact. 

We can bless someone or tear them down in an instant with our words. I remember watching Maya Angelou on the Oprah Winfrey Show and she talked about how she didn't allow people to use abusive/foul language in her home. She said that you have to be cautious about what kind of words you let into your space. I would add that you also have to be mindful of the words that you carry with you where ever you go.

How are you blessing people with your words? Do you think about what you say, write, or post on social media?

As we celebrate the life of Maya Angelou as she has been translated from labor to reward, here are some of my favorite quotes from her:

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." 

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." 

"Women should be tough, tender, laugh as much as possible, and live long lives."

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."

I am no wordsmith like Maya Angelou but it is my hope that my words and my gifts will be a blessing and uplift people up.

Thank Maya Angelou. Thank you for using  your words to build us up and to encourage. Thank you for showing us that even in the face of unspeakable adversity, we can flourish and achieve far beyond our wildest dreams.

How will you use your words? Bless someone with them today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment