Friday, January 3, 2014

Winning While Losing

You know how you have those friends that you hold dear to your heart but you don't really see them or talk to them that much? Well that is how I feel about my boo Clee. Thanks to Facebook and Instagram, I can secretly stalk her and feel connected even though we are miles away and haven't seen each other in a while. She was always an inspiration to me as a budding Zeta and HU student. Who knew she was younger than me?? Anyhow, I have watched her weight loss journey over the years and have been in awe. You always hear of people losing hundreds of pounds but I always wonder what's the catch or if they've been on some crazy diet with nasty food. But her story, I know is real. And because it's so real, I know that weight loss is really possible (even though I still struggle myself).

For those reasons, I asked her to be my guest blogger today on her birthday to give us all some weight loss and fitness inspiration for the New Year. Ladies and Gentlemen it's my pleasure to introduce you to my fitness hero Attorney Clevette Williams.

Here is her story:

I have been heavy all of my life, so heavy was sexy in my world. My family is on the heavier side and we throw down (food wise) so being over weight was a norm. However, during law school, I gained about 60 pounds. I did not realize it until I went to the doctor and stepped on the scale. I remember it as if it were yesterday. The doctor was very handsome and he said, "I'm just going to stop the scale here (310). You are very pretty, but have unhealthy habits." At that point, I started looking at myself differently. I was uncomfortable and it was finally called out. Diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. runs in my family and I was skating on thin ice. I could not wear stockings because I was too big and I could barely fit my already size 22/24s.

In 2009, I made a decision to eat 1500 calories a day and to limit my juice and drink strictly water. The first month, from sticking to 1500 calories, drinking water, and working out in my living room, I lost 20 pounds. Next, I joined a gym for more activity (classes, treadmill, etc.). I worked out 5 days a week, stuck with eating smaller portions, and the weight dropped. Note: I still would eat pasta, pizza, chips, etc. but I made sure that if I did, I stayed within my calorie allotment so it meant a smaller dinner. Because I did it the natural way, there were times when I screwed up and would gain weight, but I had a goal and was determined to get to it. Now, in 2014, I have maintained my goal weight. I've lost over 110 pounds and have kept it off because working out and drinking water have become a habit. I log my food in the My Fitness pal app and I log my water intake in the app called Waterlogged. I still workout and I love to challenge my body. 

If I can do it! Anyone can!

Remember that you can eat anything you want, but self-control is key. I'm love golden Oreos. So why would I deprive myself? The days that I feed my cravings are the days that I work a little harder in the gym. Do not deprive yourself or else you will DIVE in when you decide to indulge. Self control is key!!!

10 Tips:
1. Drink water (half your body weight in ounces) a day!
2.Get a workout schedule and stick with it. Once your body gets used to it (you will know because you will not sweat), switch it up.
3. Get a polar heart rate monitor or fit bit to track your calories.
4. Download my fitness pal.
5. Download the app waterlogged.
6. Eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks.
7. If you want to lose drastic weight, lower your calories by 200-400.
8. Workouts should be half cardio/ half strength.
9. Eat more veggies and fruits.
10. Be consistent! Practice makes perfect.

1 comment:

  1. This is incredible and so inspirational! I truly feel like this is such a motivation to take control of your desired weight without giving up all the items you love. Thanks for sharing this story great way to get lifted in 2014!

    ReplyDelete