Friday, January 16, 2015

Patient Endurance

Somebody get me this mug! 
Hey! I know it has been far too long. I have been drafting blog posts for months and never making the time to finish them. But this week, after much inspiration, I am finally compelled to write and post. Two of my devotional readings recently talked about patient endurance. I must admit that I am very, very impatient with some things. I partially blame the microwave/gotta have it right now culture that we live in but mostly on my lack of discipline in some areas--yes me the over achiever and recovering perfectionist lacks the discipline to follow through on some things *gasps*. Most of the time, when the "go getter" in me decides what it is that I want, I just go for it. But that hasn't helped me to reach all the personal goals that I have for myself in the past. My endurance for slow progress needs work because the most important things that I want to achieve will take time.

As we stand at the start on another year, I decided to pull out my goals from last year to see how I did. Just looking at this list quickly lets me know that I really need to work on being more patient and having some endurance. I am often so busy some times that I am literally just trying to get through each day. I really want to be present in the moments that I'm in and always keep my end goals in mind. That means that as 2015 progresses, I will need to look at my goals multiple times throughout the year and make adjustments as needed. I also have some accountability partners in place this year which was a crucial step that I missed in 2014.

Here are some of my goals for 2015:
  1. Set up saving to be automatic once per month and not dip into it. 
  2. See one Broadway show a season (4 times per year). 
  3. Read at least 6 books. 
  4. Reduce credit card debt by 50%.
  5. Increase my retirement contributions by $25.
  6. Write at least 2 blogs per month. 
  7. Reduce my weight by 10%. 
  8. Take a swimming class.
  9. Read the word every day (a scripture, a devotional, anything!!).
  10. Take piano lessons. 
My motto for 2015 is: the journey is far more important than the destination. I have a lot of places that I want to get beyond 2015. So, I want to have the patience and endurance to see things through and learn the lessons I need to learn so at the start of 2016, God willing, I will be further along the path that God has called me to. 

When you get a chance, read 2 Peter 1:2-11. The first verse really moved me this week: May God give you more and more grace and peace as you grow in your knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord. ~2 Peter 1:2 NLT

We are called to do great things. My pastor said on Sunday, it is always too soon to quit! So lets working on having patient endurance in 2015 my friends--there are great things ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment