Friday, April 11, 2014

Growing Pains


I wish someone would have told me that the career/life reality was really just like the picture above. Am I the only one who idealistically believed that staying out of trouble, going to college, getting a job, getting married, etc, etc was the straight and narrow path to success and happiness? I feel like I was set up for real. At 29, I have accomplished so much, and I am grateful for that, but the perfectionist in me wants everything to quickly come together as I get ready to make a shift in my career and into my 30s. The realist/christian in me is like girl calm down everything is going to work itself out. Some days I feel like I know exactly what I need to do but my inner perfectionist voice is like please don't do that. You know that may turn out badly and you don't do bad. Is there a support group for recovering perfectionist?? 

Anyhow I have been on break from work so that has helped me realize how much I need an extended break. Even though this was a work break, I have so many other things that are important to me that fill my life and days that I don't realize how I am functioning each day when everything is going full steam ahead. Any work break isn't really a "break". Being a wife, mom, and student is more than a full plate. Everything else makes me want to take a nap. I have a really good friend that always tells me that I know what I need to do but my feet feel stuck on the path of certainty. I am on the road to doing away with perfectionism but it is hard. How come people don't talk more about what it is like to make shifts in early adulthood? Career changes, changing jobs, changes because of babies, relocating, friendship changes, keeping marriages alive, etc? I think we may need to have some talks about these topics in the the future. 
You can check out more of this Life Application Study Bible devotional in the Bible App or here.

1 comment: